One of the most common body aches is neck pain. Your neck muscles become strained due to poor posture, whether from hunching over a desk or workbench. But neck pain could likewise be caused by osteoarthritis and injury. If neck pain is affecting your daily life, you can consult with Dr. Donna Watson here at A Place of Health Chiropractic in Fort Lauderdale FL. She can determine what’s causing your neck pain and recommend suitable treatments for it. Just talk to your neck pain Fort Lauderdale specialist today!
What’s Causing My Neck Pain?
The neck is very flexible and is responsible for supporting your head’s weight, so it is susceptible to conditions and injuries that restrict motion and cause pain. In this light, common neck pain causes typically include the following:
- Muscles Strains: This involves overuse of the neck muscles, such as spending prolonged hours hunching over your smartphone or computer. Even seemingly harmless things like gritting your teeth or reading in bed could strain your delicate neck muscles.
- Injuries: Auto collisions cause whiplash injuries that happen when your head is jerked forcefully backward and forward.
- Nerve Compression: Bone spurs or herniated disks in your neck’s vertebrae place pressure on nerves that branch out from your spine.
- Worn Joints: Like all joints in the body, the neck joints also wear down as you age. For instance, osteoarthritis results in the cartilage between the bones to deteriorate. The body then develops bone spurs that cause pain and impact joint motion.
- Certain Diseases: These include rheumatoid arthritis, cancer, and meningitis, among others.
What are The Common Symptoms of Neck Pain in Fort Lauderdale?
- Pain that’s worsened when holding the head in one position for extended periods, like when working at a desk or driving
- Muscle spasms and tightness
- Reduced ability to properly move the head without pain
When Should I Visit My Doctor?
In most cases, neck pain resolves with rest and at-home remedies. Otherwise, visit your neck pain Fort Lauderdale specialist for a thorough examination. Likewise, get immediate help if your neck pain is due to an injury, like a fall, sporting accident, or an auto accident. You should also seek urgent care if your pain comes with weakness or numbness in the hands or arms or pain that radiates down the shoulder and arm.
Need Relief from Neck Pain, Talk to Us
Call (954) 568-9355 to schedule an evaluation with Dr. Donna Watson here at A Place of Health Chiropractic in Fort Lauderdale, FL.