Are you tired of living with lower back pain? Fort Lauderdale, FL, chiropractor Dr. Donna Watson shares a few common causes of lower back pain and explains what you can do to relieve your symptoms.
Why does my back hurt?
Lower back pain can occur if you have:
- Poor Posture: Bad posture can strain your back muscles and may even permanently alter your spine if you don't correct the problem. In recent years, posture issues have become more prevalent as people spend hours hunched over computer screens and smartphones.
- Sprained or Strained Your Back: Did your pain start after you fell, moved something heavy or played your favorite sport? Sprains and strains that affect your muscles and ligaments can result in significant lower back pain.
- A Herniated Disc: Disc herniations occur when the soft center of spinal discs begins to protrude through the outer layer. Pain occurs when the herniated disc presses on nerves.
- Arthritis: Years of wear and tear on your spine cause osteoarthritis, a common cause of lower back pain.
- Spinal Stenosis: Spinal stenosis occurs due to narrowing of the spinal canal, which can irritate your nerves. In addition to pain, you may also experience muscle weakness, tingling and numbness.
- Scoliosis: The condition occurs when your spine curves sideways. Scoliosis usually develops during childhood, but can also occur if you've been diagnosed with osteoporosis.
What can I do about lower back pain?
Resting, taking over-the-counter pain medication and using heat and ice packs can often be effective in relieving mild back pain. If your pain doesn't go away or your symptoms are severe, schedule an appointment with our Fort Lauderdale office. We offer a variety of treatments to ease your pain, including spinal manipulations, massage, heat and cold packs, ultrasound and other treatments.
Chiropractic treatment offers a natural, drug-free way to relieve your pain. Treatments address the source of your pain, which is the key to preventing your symptoms from returning. In addition to relieving pain, chiropractic treatment can restore your normal range of motion, improve blood flow, relieve muscle stiffness and reduce inflammation.
Relieve your low back pain with chiropractic care. Call Fort Lauderdale, FL, chiropractor Dr. Donna Watson at (954) 568-9355 to schedule an appointment.