The more you understand your body and how it functions, the better equipped you'll be at taking care of yourself to achieve optimal health. Our team of chiropractic professionals empower patients to take charge of your own health and future, educating you about your condition to decrease your need for future care. We've included the Patient Education section on our website to provide you with valuable, practical wellness information which you can incorporate into your lifestyle to improve the quality of your life. We hope you will turn to these pages whenever you have a question about health related issues and urge you to contact our practice at any time to make an appointment with one of our chiropractors.
- What is Chiropractic
- Your First Visit
- Chiropractic Techniques and Tools
- Types of Therapies
- When to Seek Care
- Types of Pain
- Key Body Structures and Terms
- Health Tips
- General Prevention Tips
- As You Get Older
- Spinal Health and Pregnancy
- Sports/Recreation Injury Prevention
- Children's Needs
Carpal tunnel syndrome is probably the most common source of wrist pain . Symptoms may include soreness, numbness or tingling, or a burning sensation. Carpal tunnel is caused by compression in the median nerve of your hand. The compression causes swelling.
Carpal tunnel is more common among people who have repetitive wrist movements, such as sewing, painting, and writing; using a computer; and playing racquetball or handball. Diabetes, arthritis, pregnancy, and obesity have also been linked with carpal tunnel as well.
Other causes of wrist pain include:
- Arthritis (joint inflammation), including osteoarthritis (degenerative joint disease).
- Bursitis (inflammation of the bursa, the small sac containing fluid that lies between tendons and bones).
- Fracture or other injury.
- Gout (a form of arthritis that occurs as a result of the build-up of uric acid in the body and the joint fluid).
- Muscle sprain or strain.
- Tendonitis (irritation of a muscle tendon, which is the rope-like muscle that attaches to the bone).